Pastors, Organizational and Thought Leader’s are being challenged to lead in unprecidented times. There are real tensions that exist today where people align to different ideas and have strong feelings that are steeply rooted in their worldview.
- COVID-19 Issues of Safety vs Fear and Listening to the Voice of God or Government
- Racial Tension – Black Lives Matter the Idea vs BLM the Organization
- LGBTQ – Do I love the people who embrace and identify
- Political – Do I follow the party line? Or will I choose to be ‘awake’
- The Economy – Will my business make it?
- The Church – Will I embrace mobilizing my people to mission more than coming to the weekend. Will the new normal be ‘on campus’ and ‘digital’
Those bullet points potentially caused a reaction in your spirit. That is my point. All of this dumped on us all at the same time while in isolation has left leaders feeling ‘tired, weary and alone.’
How do you lead during the times in which we live. The easy answer. LEAD, even when you are tired,weary and feeling alone! Our posture and our actions will absolutely allow ‘real leaders’ to rise. Real leaders will:
- Listen and Learn
- Train and Model Equality and Equity and mobilize their people for growth
- They ‘release’ the reconcilers and all Members to Lead
- They react and respond – being proactive is key but in the face of crisis and living in a period of the ‘unknown’ reaction and response is critical
- They develop and mobilize their people for action according to their S.H.A.P.E. (Spiritual Gifts, Heart/Passion, Abilities, Personality and Experience)
In these difficult days we must choose to focus on what we do agree on. People have lost their ability to reason. “Come let us reason together.’ Isaiah 1:18. This verse follows verses 16 and 17 where it says, “stop doing wrong, learn to do right.’ We can still love one another even if we have different ideas or even disagree. Together we can agree on a few things:
- We must love God and love people…in that order
- We are Anti-Racism
- We are Pro-Reconciliation
I AM TIRED
- If you are really tired, then slow down and rest or stop and get some sleep.
- If you are not at least attempting to sleep for 7-9 hours you may need to rethink your pattern for sleeping
“But they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” Isaiah 41:31
“For I am the LORD your God, who is holding your right hand, saying, “Fear Not,” for I am with you.” Isaiah 41:13
I AM WEARY
- If you are weary, you might need to establish some patterns and force some healthy rhythms to your lifestyle.
- If you are weary, you may need to be replenished. Get away, change the scenery, get a different perspective
- Assess your life habits and identify patterns that contribute to meltdown and eliminate them. Negativity breeds negativity. Soul thirst is critical. Who is filling your core?
“Come to me (Jesus), all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest.” Matt. 11:28
I AM FEELING ALONE
- If you are feeling ‘alone’ have you put yourself in a box? Are you reaching out, not to serve others so much as to fill the need you have for relationship? The people we choose to ‘do life’ with, shape our worldview and either fill us or drain us. Lose the drainers!
- Do you have someone to confide in and just ‘dump’ on? Do you have a team who can listen to you without casting judgement? Can you listen without being defensive? When we are weary and feeling alone, we tend to erect a wall when truth is spoken or when an issue arises that is part of the problem. The BIG IDEA, this team is there for you to help you FIX the PROBLEMS, not fix the blame.
- You are NOT alone. God will never leave you or forsake you. Be a God Pleaser not a man pleaser. Care less about what people think and more about what God has spoken. LEAD!
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
“I am the Vine, you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit, apart from me (JESUS), you can do nothing.” John 15:5
Father, empty us of us and FILL US WITH YOUR SPIRIT! Empower us. Empower your servants. Energize them supernaturally. Allow Leaders to LEAD even when they are tired, weary and feeling alone. Father, according to Ephesians 3, we pray, Humble us your leaders and allow us to bow our knee, Strengthen your leaders by your Spirit in the inner man, Purify your leader and keep them from temptation and poor decision making when they are tired, weary and feeling alone, and help them to Comprehend and Ponder all the Good things you are doing that is beyond their wildest imaginations. Give them a Vision again that their GOD IS ON THE MOVE. Give them the wisdom to know what is right and the courage to do it!